Yes, the money is important, especially if the reason behind a blog is to build a business or a lifestyle. There are an incredible amount of people who earn a living from blogging. Here is a list of the top bloggers income report for December of 2016 if you want to read about their stats.
But before you get too excited after reading the amount of money these people make keep one thing in mind.
BUILD SOMETHING YOU CAN BE PROUD OF WHILE HELPING OTHER PEOPLE!
People need help every day for one reason or another. Let the money be a by-product of your process. Try thinking of a way to begin filling the Internet with worthy content instead of senseless jargon and designed to be of no importance to anyone.
Blogging is hard work and needs constant attention to be a successful venture. Pick a subject that you really are passionate about and write relevant content that will draw in readers that share your same passion. Then grow from that and build a brand behind it.
After many years in this website building/blog building business for myself and for many others I have narrowed down what I believe are my own top 5 reasons a person should start a blog and how it can help lead to some positive things in life.
- To become a better writer – This was the hardest nut to crack for me when I started. My background was in coding and web design and structure, not writing. It was something I always wanted to do. Lucky for me I developed websites for many authors and editors that encouraged and helped me with my writing. Step by step, day by day it became a little easier. I still need help editing and arranging my thoughts and sentences but I promise, keep at it and you will get better.
- Discover what I was really good at doing – I started and restarted many times before I had a grasp of what I really liked and how I could take what I knew and help other people. Writing forced me to think about who I was and how I wanted to appear out in this big massive Internet world. It will also force us to discover what we are not good at and therefore narrow the playing field.
- Become a better thinker – in the process of writing and editing and reading other blogs you will soon begin thinking tighter and smarter. It will help you dig a little deeper on subjects of interest and soon you will be sharing relevant content in a way that makes sense and helps others.
- Inspiration – to others and to yourself. In my opinion, I believe this to be the best reason a person or business should create and maintain a blog. Write from your heart, from things you have learned or things you are going through that might be valuable to another person who happens to land on your website. Give them a reason to stay and continue learning and reading what may have helped you through a situation that they perhaps are going through. Remember you can’t see the face of those who read your articles but if you do your best and leave them with something positive then that in itself can bring a smile to both you and the person on the other end.
- Finally, it could be a source of income – most of us need a little extra from time to time and if you can develop a blog into a regular job for yourself then all the better. Of course based on the very idea I mentioned above at the beginning of this post. I know of many individuals that are making a very nice living for them and their family allowing both freedom and time spent together doing things of interest. A long hard road but it is doable. But don’t let the idea of making money become your distraction. It can.
Blogging is a life changer. A lifestyle and is a serious business. Find your sweet spot with this idea and perhaps it will a game changer for you.